Sunday, July 17, 2011

DIY: iPhone Case

I've had my iPhone for ages now (I think my second or third post when I moved over to this blog was about buying it), but have never had a cover for it. Terrible I know!

When I saw this tutorial over at Dwellings By DeVore, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my phone. And as a bonus, it was a way for me to use some of my leftover wedding invite paper (also seen here in a failed DIY attempt).

I made the insert for my clear iPhone case a bit differently, so I thought I would post a step-by-step here in case anyone else is wanting to make a custom iPhone case.

First up I took the white cardboard insert that came with my clear case and traced it onto the back of my paper.


I cut it out, along with a little keyhole for the camera and flash.


Next up I traced and cut an oval piece of card (also leftover from our wedding invites).


I stamped it with a fancy 'T' stamp using a gold ink. I played around with a few different inks before deciding on the gold. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos, but rather than looking like gold, its a nice nude colour - almost identical in colour to the lace pattern on the paper.


It was looking a little bit bland, so I took a white ink pen and drew a border of small dots. The border doesn't stand out, but it does add a little bit more depth to the monogram.


Then I stuck the stamped cardboard to the paper with double-sided tape (is there any other option!), put it inside the clear cover and snapped the cover back onto my phone.


I instantly loved it, elegant and personalised! Seeing as Max uses the phone more than I do (surely I'm not the only one who uses youtube and the wiggles to entertain their toddler!?), I decided to let him have the final say...



Looks like he loves it too!

2 comments